Perhaps, you have memories of your childhood years wherein you saw your sibling or a relative wearing clear braces or aligners. As you grew up, it made you question the difference between clear braces vs. aligners. If this is how you feel towards the dilemma, it is best that you know its difference, how it works and its benefits. First of all, you must understand these two options are great to treat the different issues that lie behind every purpose of having a clear brace or aligners and to maintain that smile on your face.
What are aligners?
This is a treatment option best for both adults and teenagers. It helps the teeth to stay in place without having to extract. This is wearable for at least 22 hours a day, and it is important that you change it for every two weeks with a new pair. Treatment usually takes place within nine months to 1 year. To determine if you are a good candidate for envisaging, it is a great option for you to seek an orthodontist that supports this kind of treatment.
Clear braces- this is also known as ceramic braces because this is made out of ceramic material. This can either come in transparent or anything that could match your preference. This is works almost the same with metal braces. How does it work? The brackets are positioned to your teeth and are connected through an arch wire where the pressure is enforced on your teeth. It guides your teeth have a proper alignment.
Here is the following difference between clear braces vs. aligners.
1. Aligners are more transparent- this has a virtual transparency which is why most patients would prefer this type of treatment. No one can eventually notice it unless you mention it.
2. Aligners can be removed- the difference with the aligners from the clear braces is that you can easily remove it while doing your routine oral care. This keeps your teeth healthy while you are still on treatment. It is also best that you remove it while you are eating.
3. Most clear braces only take few adjustments- ideally, aligners needed to change every two weeks while clear braces need to be adjusted every four weeks. So, this means that you'll have frequent visits to your dentist.
4. Treatment is more extensive compared to clear braces- mind you, aligners are more developed to treat a variety of cases, here are an example of treatment in aligners:
- Gapped teeth
- Underbite, overbite and open bite.
5. Most of the clear braces are brittle- ceramic materials are slightly brittle which makes it very susceptible to breaking or chipping.
6. Soft tissues can be irritated by clear braces- it irritates the lips and cheeks.
7. According to dentist in San Leandro, you can’t fix the bottom of your teeth if you are on clear braces
8. Clear braces can also stain your teeth.
Now that you have a better understanding between clear braces vs. aligners, it is best that you ask your dentist as to which is best for you.